Salary: £28,456 - £32,287 per annum (£22,765 - £25,830 for 30 hours)
Closing Date: Monday, 17 July 2017
JOB TITLE: Sister/Charge Nurse
REPORTS TO: Senior Sister/Charge Nurse
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Head of Clinical Services
PLACE OF WORK: Any premises operated by the Company
VERSION DATE: February 2016
REVIEW DATE: February 2018
1. £28,456 - £32,287 per annum (£22,765 - £25,830 for 30 hours)
2. Hours of work: 37.5 hours per week, however 30 hours per week would be considered (worked on a rota basis involving shifts and weekends. You will be notified of your start and finish times from time to time by Management)
3. Salary enhancements:
Bank Holiday Pay x 0.6 of the hourly rate Saturday Enhancement x 0.3 of the hourly rate Sunday Enhancement x 0.6 of the hourly rate Unsocial Hours Enhancement (after 8pm) x 0.3 of the hourly rate
4. The annual leave entitlement is 35 days per annum pro-rata.
5. For current clinical NHS employees, the option of continuing with the NHS scheme pension is offered from day 1 of employment.
Completed applications should be sent by email to email@example.com or posted to the address below.
HR Department, Dove House Hospice, Chamberlain Road, Hull, HU8 8DH.
Further information regarding this post can be found in the attached recruitment literature. For further information on Dove House Hospice please visit our website www.dovehouse.org.uk.
Are you able to lead, motivate and act as a role model for the team of nurses and monitor the standards of care delivered by the team?
1. Support the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse in carrying out their role.
2. Demonstrate clinical competence and expertise in palliative care and end of life care nursing, displaying a sound understanding of symptom management, acting as a resource for nursing colleagues.
3. Be responsible for the care and support of an identified group of patients.
4. Be responsible for the leading, planning, implementation and evaluation of patient care. Ensure all documentation completed by nurses is both accurate and legible in relation to patient care in line with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) guidelines and Dove House Hospice policies and procedures.
5. Ensure that a patient’s holistic needs are met in a person centred way.
1. Be responsible for ensuring that all members of the team comply with all statutory training requirements.
2. Lead, motivate and act as a role model for the team of nurses and monitor the standards of care delivered by the team, reporting to the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse as appropriate.
3. Be responsible for ensuring that all new members of the team receive appropriate inductions.
4. Ensure that the holistic needs of all patients cared for by the team are met in a person centred way. Work closely with the multi disciplinary team to meet individual patient identified needs. Attend weekly multidisciplinary team meetings ensuring that decisions/discussions from the MDM are communicated to the rest of the nursing team.
5. Communicate appropriately with all staff, liaise with other departments and agencies and attend departmental and inter-departmental meetings, as appropriate.
6. Be responsible for ensuring the nursing team adhere to Dove House Hospice policies relating to the security, control and administration of drugs in line with NMC guidance and requirements.
7. Be the Senior Sister/Charge Nurses deputy and in their absence, cover their duties, including the Senior Nurse on-call rota and act as Emergency Duty Officer.
8. Under guidance of the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse, plan the nursing rota to ensure 24 hour nursing care is maintained across the clinical services and appropriate skill mix is provided at all times.
9. In conjunction with the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse participate in the selection and recruitment of staff.
10. Participate in and undertake supervision and appraisal of nursing staff as directed by senior sisters/charge nurse in line with Dove House Hospice supervision policy.
11. Report and record any complaints or concerns raised from patients, visitors, staff and volunteers, reporting these to the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse.
12. In conjunction with the Head of Clinical Services and the Education and Practice Development Department, maintain own standard of educational and professional development as required by the NMC in order to meet registration requirements.
13. Participate in the induction of new hospice staff and volunteers as required.
14. Act as a mentor for nursing students and new nursing staff allocated to the clinical departments.
15. In conjunction with the Education and Practice Development Department, organise and deliver formal and informal education and training both internally and externally as required.
16. During out of hours periods, refer to the Senior Nurse on-call for advice and guidance with regards to nursing matters and issues affecting the Inpatient Unit.
17. During out of hours, follow the on-call procedures in order to access relevant staff support.
18. Maintain patient confidentiality at all times and comply with all Dove House Hospice policies and procedures.
19. Adhere to the NMC Code of Conduct.
20. Participate in the hospice clinical governance programme, including attending the clinical forum and carrying out and participating in clinical audit and evaluation as required.
21. Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by the Senior Sister/Charge Nurse.
NB This job description may be amended in consultation with the post holder in the light of on-going, changing Organisational needs.