Salary: £19171 per annum
Closing Date: Sunday, 16 August 2020
As Apprentice Sustainable Development Policy Officer you will contribute to the development and delivery of policies, strategies and plans relating to sustainable development within the East Riding. We are looking for someone who is organised, has good communication skills and is passionate about the environment.
This is a two year fixed term role based in County Hall, Beverley, working 37 hours per week. On offer is a salary of £19,171 per annum. You must hold a minimum of 5 GCSEs (at a minimum of grade 4 or equivalent) including English and Maths and 2 A-Levels (or Level 3 equivalent) at grade D or above. You must be willing to work towards (and do not already hold) the Level 4 Policy Officer Apprenticeship Standard qualification.
Principle Accountabilities (under supervision)
- Assist with the formulation, monitoring and review of policies, strategies and plans relating to sustainable development, to ensure that the Council meets its requirements with regards to sustainable development.
- Carry out necessary research into current and emerging policies at the local, regional and national levels which contribute towards sustainable development.
- Support the Council’s approach to managing the causes and impacts of climate change
- Support the development and delivery of initiatives relating to coastal management, biodiversity, environmental management and climate change
- Assist in the provision of information, data and guidance to members of the public, council officers, councillors and partners, as required or requested.
- Support the team’s work with relevant internal and external groups concerned with sustainable development.
- Undertake analysis of data sets and present information and data as required by the team, using a range of techniques.
- Assist in the research and preparation of committee reports, meeting documents, project documents, briefing notes, and publicity materials on sustainable communities and sustainable development issues in general.
- Carry out appropriate administrative duties to support the wider sustainable development team and the day-to-day running of the offices.
- Contribute to the overall function of the sustainable development team.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the level of the role
- Does their best at being organised and resilient and is able to keep calm whilst working to tight deadlines and able to manage conflicting priorities and pressures.
- Has the ability to use technology to access and manage and present information e.g. computer, smart phone, Microsoft Office suite.
- Minimum of 5 GCSEs including English Language and Maths (or level 2 equivalent) at grade C and above (or the new grade 4 and above).
- Level 3 qualification(s), including at least one of the below: o 2 x A-levels at grade D and above; or o BTEC Extended Diploma at grade PPP and above; or o Level 3 apprenticeship; or o Equivalent level 3 qualification of at least 48 UCAS points.
- An awareness of the concept of sustainable development.
- Is committed to work towards (and does not already hold) the Level 4 Policy Officer Apprenticeship Standard.
- Has a flexible attitude and is willing to embrace change (willing to work flexible hours to include some evening and weekend work).
- Is willing to become an ambassador for the Council to encourage and support other people to consider apprenticeships/employment.
- Communicates clearly and confidently, listens to understand and builds rapport.
- Is a team player, acts with integrity and treats people with respect.
- A broad understanding of sustainable development themes including coastal management, biodiversity and environmental management.
- Knowledge of partnership or group working.
- An awareness of the role of local and national Government.
- Ability to collect, analyse and interpret data.
- Full driving licence with access to own vehicle.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact:
Richard Jackson (Principal Sustainable Development Officer) Tel 07814 879421
Jeremy Pickles (Sustainable Development Manager) Tel 07919 325767
Applications are welcome from everyone, irrespective of age, but especially from applicants in the under 25 group. Please ensure you check the eligibility criteria before applying on the apprenticeships website
Closing date: 16 August 2020
Interview date: TBA