Salary: Manager £27,540 (£22,330 actual)
Closing Date: Friday, 7 October 2022
Department: Creative Programme
Reports to: Head of Creative Programme
Direct reports: Community Engagement Coordinator
Contract type: Part time (30 hours)
The closing date is noon on Friday 7th October 2022.
Working closely with the creative team the role holder will further develop the work which has been piloted in two key neighbourhoods into a model which can be reduplicated across the city and which increases the value of arts and culture by placing it at the heart of communities. It positions social action at the forefront of our work and will shape and lead innovative
outreach and community engagement through an exciting range of projects.
The Community Engagement Manager will work across the city using creativity and arts to co-create projects with and for communities. They will utilise learning from previous projects, ensuring successes of initiatives are taken forwards, and embed broader learnings from the wider cultural sector around effective community engagement to devise projects that are sustainable longer term.
• To devise, implement and monitor Absolutely Cultured’s community engagement strategy.
• Co-create and deliver with communities a range of creative arts projects that aim to improve their lives and address any social issues that are important in their communities.
• Facilitating activity and programme associated with the community Creative Centres
• Manage a suite of projects, including securing facilitators, artists, freelancers and volunteer support, planning logistics, and engaging participants, that target identified areas of the city with low engagement.
• Collaborate with the wider Absolutely Cultured team to design and deliver projects in keeping with the wider creative programme and business plan.
• Engage and work with local partners across the city to design and deliver projects.
• Manage the budgets allocated to community co-creation projects with regular
reporting to the Head of Creative Programmes and/or Head of Finance.
Engagement & Outreach
• Develop and innovative suitable methods to reach out to and engage with diverse communities.
• Work closely with the Head of Development & Communications and Marketing
Manager to devise and engage outreach and marketing plans to reach participants for all engagement activity.
• Lead work to engage, re-engaging and empower individuals and communities from areas of traditionally low uptake and engagement.
• Work with our partners to devise schemes to empower local residents.
Monitoring & Evaluation
• Coordinate the monitoring and evaluation of community engagement projects
• Design and implement targeted and citywide studies of need, opportunity and
aspirations through both desktop and live immersion in target communities and
• Identify barriers to engagement from low engagement communities and instigate learnings from this research to affect change within the organisation and remove barriers
• Share knowledge across the team internally to ensure an integrated and collaborative approach to maximise opportunities within the team and ensure greater effectiveness across the company as a whole.
• Working Closely with the Development Manager, track and ensure effective progress of initiatives against funder milestones and other core indicators.
• Foster, maintain and develop existing relationships with key stakeholders, including local organisations, community groups, individuals, volunteers and artists.
• Cultivate new relationships externally with organisations, funders, community groups and initiatives across Hull and East Yorkshire to enhance our community engagement offer.
Programme & Organisation
• Work with the wider team to plan creative programmes for community engagement projects and identify areas for community engagement activity across the full scope Absolutely Cultured’s creative programme.
• Plan in and implement the Arts Council Investment Principles across all aspects of project development and delivery.
• Be a leading advocate of the programme’s commitment to create a best practice model for community engagement and co-creation in Hull and beyond.
• Proactively work towards the overall vision of the organisation.
• Any other duties commensurate with the post.
• Demonstrable experience of working in a community engagement, development or community arts role at management level.
• Passion for arts and culture and cultural approaches to regeneration and social change.
• The ability to work outside of typical working hours if and when required.
• Ability to take a strategic approach to project planning and community engagement.
• Ability to adopt creative approaches to projects and problem solving.
• Management of multi-partner programmes
• Demonstrable excellent internal and external relationship building skills.
• Ability to act as a programme ambassador across diverse audiences and competing agendas.
• Budget management and financial accountability.
• IT literate in Microsoft Office applications.
• Experience and understanding of project monitoring and evaluation.
• Knowledge and understanding of the context and characteristics of Hull and
surrounding areas in terms of geographical, political, social and community landscapes.
• Knowledge and understanding of local and national community engagement practices directly in relation to arts and culture aims.
• Positive and enthusiastic attitude, including a flexible approach to developing and delivering the role.
• Commitment to achieving high standards and a thorough and meticulous approach to work.
• Ability to take own initiative as well as working as part of a team.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure.
• Ability to show initiative and resilience when dealing with change.
• Confident in engaging members of the public and colleagues.
Please send the following to email@example.com
• Curriculum Vitae
• Covering letter or supporting statement (no more than 2 sides of A4)
Marketing the Humber on the national and international stage
Humber Spotlight - read by over 4,000 people across the region.