Salary: Competitive dependent on experience, plus salary sacrifice benefits package and bonus opportunity
Closing Date: Friday, 15 February 2019
Reporting directly to the Pre-Construction Director, the Bid Manager will be jointly responsible for identifying and bringing in new opportunities into the business, using your network to engage with clients, consultants and supply chain alike, and identify opportunities as early as possible. Leading the bid team, you will oversee an opportunity from pre-qualification through to contract award and robust handover to the delivery team.
Role: Bid Manager
Hours: Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours per week
Package: Competitive dependent on experience, plus salary sacrifice benefits package and bonus opportunity
About our company;
Established in 1876, we deliver a host of construction projects, primarily across the Yorkshire region. Ranging from small scale extensions and refurbishments, to the design and build of new developments and strategic estates partnerships, we work in respectful partnership with our clients, supply chain and communities, with whole life costing and total quality always at front of mind.
Recognised as being a ‘Sunday Times Best Company to Work For’ business, we continually strive to be a great place to work so that we can be a great company to deal with. Committed to our region, we aim to leave a legacy through economic, social and community impact.
Reporting directly to the Pre-Construction Director, the Bid Manager will be jointly responsible for identifying and bringing new opportunities into the business, using your network to engage with clients, consultants and supply chain alike, and identify opportunities as early as possible. Leading the bid team, you will oversee an opportunity from pre-qualification through to contract award and robust handover to the delivery team.
The Bid Manager will assemble and manage a bid team with the relevant knowledge required to prepare a winning bid, taking ownership of the end-to-end bid process.
Responsibilities include introduction and implementation of all necessary bid procedures, governance and processes. This is a highly networked role that requires an ability to work under pressure and to challenging deadlines. It will require strong management and technical skills.
• To identify and present new opportunities to the Directors for bid approval
• Ensure cross selling of the wider Estates business where appropriate
• Manage Pre-Construction processes for a project, ensuring bids are progressed in accordance with Sewell bid management procedures and ensure they are implemented at each stage of bid management / tender process
• Manage the process to compile a nett cost estimate for the proposed works
• Manage bid teams and inputs from a variety of stakeholders to ensure a robust technical and commercial submission is issued to industry leading standard
• Report to board on a weekly and monthly basis on workload and opportunities pipeline to assist in identifying any resource needs
• Support the development of talent within the pre-construction team
• Provide business intelligence and competition analysis/data to aid business decision making.
• Establish a clear and thorough understanding of the bid requirements, including the main deliverables and the client’s drivers for developing the project
• Chair initial bid kick-off meetings, briefing the team on the opportunity and bid strategy
• Develop and monitor tender period programme and deliverables schedule, circulate to bid team and ensure team buy-in
• Ensure risk registers are produced and managed throughout the bid process
• Where appropriate ensure all designer appointments are correct and design responsibilities and fees are agreed, understood and forecast
• Develop a robust delivery strategy for the scheme, ensuring a detailed programme, logistics plan and design schedule is in place to form part of the technical submission
• Ensure a project build workshop is undertaken for wider appraisal on delivery approach
• Liaise closely with the client team; develop relationships and maintain close contact with key decision makers throughout the bid process
• Work closely with the commercial manager and design manager to identify value engineering / design alternatives
• Ensure that bids are completed in a timely fashion, providing Sewell with the best commercial and design options
• Lead the bid team at internal adjudication and ensure the agenda and our procedures are completed incorporating all qualifications, clarifications and derogations
• Develop a robust handover pack and chair the handover meeting, giving the project team the best platform to deliver Construction Excellence on site
• Maintain dialogue with the delivery team and Commercial Director to feedback any lessons learnt into future bids
• This role will require bid writing capabilities, with the bid manager leading the writing on complex schemes.
Essential Skills & Attributes;
As well as exhibiting our company behaviours of being Positive, Professional, Customer Focused, a Team Player and Doing the Right Thing, the successful person will have the following:
• Have a full driving licence, valid in the UK
• Be degree qualified in a relevant commercial or construction subject
• Proven capability in bidding and winning, large scale projects
• Experience of bid management from opportunity identification through to project delivery
• Ability to provide valuable input into opportunity qualification, win strategies, commercial discussions and solution design
• In depth knowledge and awareness of industry best practices and initiatives
• Must be comfortable working at Senior Manager Level (internal and external customers)
• Will be fully conversant with the competitive marketplace
• Sound commercial understanding and risk management skills
• Have the ability to manage complex, multi-workstream opportunities
• Solid understanding and implementation of internal governance procedures
• Excellent communication skills
• Have above average skills in utilising Microsoft Office
• Previous BIM experience
• Excellent Management and team leading skills
• Sound knowledge of current H&S practices
• Networking and engagement confidence (supplier / consultant / clients).
Sewell is an equal opportunities employer, recruiting within the guidelines of the Equality Act 2010. We are committed to the promotion of diversity and equal opportunity, as an employer and in the delivery of our products and services. As a committed safe employer, an enhanced DBS (criminal record) check will be carried out for the successful candidate of this role.